We received notice today that the county plans on shutting down the runways and taxiways at RHV and E16 on various dates to complete the paving project at both airports. The schedule is as follows:
Monday July 16th – Friday July 20th – RHV
Survey crews and contractors will be operating on runways and taxiways to mark the surface and then do the final coat of paint on all surface markings.
- Monday July 16th – Surveys at RHV, all runways and taxiways will be impacted at various times.
- Tuesday July 17th – Friday July 20th – rolling closures of runways and taxiways using the same order that was used during the original project. Closures will start with Runway 31L, Taxiway Y, Runway 31R, Taxiway Z, Taxilane G and Taxilane F.
Pattern work will not be available at RHV during these dates/times.
Monday July 23rd – Tuesday July 24th – E16
San Martin will be closed to ALL traffic on these two dates.
As always CHECK NOTAMS for specific dates/times/changes in schedule before you fly.
Please join us in congratulating the following Squadron 2 member pilots on their recent accomplishments!
* Kevin Liao – Private Pilot! – 6/13 – CFI David
* Alexander Stockdale – 1st Solo XC – 6/13 – CFI Abhi
* Ranadeb Mitra – 1st Solo!!! – 6/13 – CFI Bhawani Ricky
* Joydeep Mukerjee – 1st Solo!!! – 6/21 – CFI Bhawani Ricky
* Dale Edie – 1st Solo!!! – 6/22 – CFI Zhang
* Ryan Soohoo – Complex Endorsement – 6/26 – CFI Anissa Mohler
* Pranav Apte – Private Pilot! – 6/26 – CFI Abhi, Ricky, Bob
* Kelly Todd – 1st Solo!!! – 7/6 – CFI Carlo Espinosa
* Eduardo Rojas – Long Solo XC! – 7/7 – CFI Carlo Espinosa
* Liz Barham – Private Pilot Written! – 7/6 – CFI Scott Rohlfing
* RJ Trillo – 1st Solo!!! – 7/9 – CFI Carlo Espinosa
* Devindra Joshi – 1st Solo!!! – 7/11 – CFI Abhi
* Alexander Paulet – 1st Solo!!! – 7/13 – CFI Bhawani Singh
Taxiway C between the right and left runways has problems with the underlying surface and will require substantial work to stabilize the soil prior to installing new pavement. In addition, a section of taxiway Z between A (31 runup) and taxilane U also will undergo additional work. While this work is ongoing, expect minor disruptions to aircraft movement around the airport, including intermittent single runway closures and taxiway Z closure between A and U.
Work is currently planned during regular work hours Monday through Friday and is expected to be completed on Monday July 2nd.
Please make sure to check all NOTAM’s prior to flying to ensure you are familiar with any surface closures.
We have a rapidly changing situation with the airport construction and are not getting the clearest information. If you are planning any specific operations, especially at night during the airport construction you will need the best possible information.
9 AM every morning FAA RHV Tower and RHV Airport ops we will be hosting a daily telephone safety briefing. We will discuss any surface closures, and other unusual conditions on the airport in addition to providing an update on the paving project, and answering any questions you might have. You are encouraged to particpate in the call, especially if you will be flying that day. Following is the call in information.
Paricipant Password: 880478
You may use any of these numbers while in the USA.
Please be sure to check in to these Telcons to be up to date on any recent changes.
The County Roads and Airports department is moving forward with the long awaited runway and taxiway repaving project at both San Martin (E16) and Reid-Hillview (RHV) Airports in May. The following is the planned schedule for airport closures and runway and taxiway closures during this time period.
San Martin Airport will be CLOSED to all operations May 3rd – May 10th
RHV Runway 31L and Taxiway Y will be CLOSED May 2nd – May 10th
RHV Airport will be CLOSED to all operations at night May 13th – May 25th
RHV Runway 31R and Taxiway Z will be CLOSED May 13th – May 19th
RHV Rows Foxtrot, Golf and both Runups will be CLOSED May 21st – May 25th
The closure of Foxtrot will directly impact Squadron 2. We will be moving our planes to another location when Foxtrot is closed so you will be able to fly. Stay tuned for details of when and where.
As always CHECK NOTAMS before you fly!
Congratulations to the following Squadron 2 member pilots and their CFIs for their accomplishments in March and April!
– Jeff Ramadan 3/7/18 – Instrument Rating – CFII Clayton Conrad
– Joon Song 3/19/18 – CFI-Instrument – CFI Abhi
– Trevor Meads 3/23/18 – 1st Solo!! – CFI Ron V.
– Jungi Ye 4/4/18 – 1st Solo!! – CFI Andy Feng
– Yash Patel 4/4/18 – Private Pilot! – CFI Abhi
– Ross Baba 4/7/18 – 1st Solo!! – CFI Abhi
– Andrew Duff 4/13/18 – Private Pilot! – CFI Bob Etchell
– Shaktivel Sundaresan – Instrument Rating! – CFII Abhi
– Brenda Alarcon – Commercial Single Engine Land! – CFIs Carlo, Bob, Abhi
– Ri Ah Lin – Instrument Rating! – CFIIs Clayton, Sherry, Abhi
– Steve Canby 4/22/18 – Commercial Single Engine Land! – CFI Scott Rohlfing
Congratulations to the following new pilots, certificates and our new Solo Pilot, John Myung!
– Obalit Betgorgiz – Private Pilot! 2/17/18 – CFI Abhi
– Kezia Fernandes – Private Pilot! 2/20/18 – CFI Abhi
– John Myung – 1st Solo!! 2/21/18 – CFI Coby Sena
– Ales Janhar – Commercial Multi Instrument – 2/24/18 – MEI Bob
– Marcel Trimpl – Commercial Multi Instrument – 2/24/18 – MEI Bob
As most of you know, the County Airport Administration is working on an update to the Airports Business Plan for the County’s two airports. As part of the update effort, they have been hosting public input meetings. These meetings explain the process of updating the Business Plan. They will also listen to the audience’s thoughts and concerns. For more information on the Business Plan, the process for updating it, and questions asked during previous meetings, please visit their website: www.countyairports.org.
The third and final public meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 1, 2018 starting at 6:30 PM at the Donald Meyer Elementary School, 1824 Daytona Dr., San Jose, CA 95122.
This meeting is the primary meeting for airport neighbors to provide input. We can expect some very different viewpoints from our neighbors. Please listen respectfully and carefully to all inputs.
Congratulations to Hao Wen and his MEI, Scott Rohlfing, for successfully completing the Commercial Multi Instrument Check Ride last Saturday, February 10th! Great Job Hao! Next stop – the airlines 🙂
Congratulations to Julia Bradley who flew her first solo on February 3rd! She worked with CFI, Carlo Espinosa, to achieve this milestone.